Thursday, November 29, 2007

The wonders of YouTube-Dunedin Chinese Garden

Making short films to order is one thing, but getting them seen by an audience is the challenge. Having laboured over a short (14 minute) film on the Dunedin Chinese Garden I have decided to let the world see it, albeit in a slightly abridged form . YouTube will only allow 10 minutes so I trimmed it down and hope that it still makes sense. The quality isn't too bad and I hope that something like this will whet the appetite of anyone curious to visit the garden when it opens in Feb / March 2008.

So, here it is:

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, well done Mark. I'm now one local who has seen it :)

I have a question.. I know a small amount about Chinese Han and some of their building design. That small amount includes knowing that Han orientate their buildings South. Because they are in the Northern hemisphere, then in makes sense to say that this orientation is for the sun. Now, we are in the Southern hemisphere, but it would appear that this building is orientated to the South still. Evidenced mainly because the highest point in the structure is on the Northern side. So my question is: Is the building orientated to the South in accordance with Han and other Chinese building codes?

No big deal if it is, the Scots and English did exactly the same, just a curiosity. I can't wait to walk on in there.. its looking great!

Mark Orton said...

Good Question,

I will try to find an answer. I suspect I already have the answer within one of the interviews that I have recorded. When the Chinese designers were visiting a couple of months ago, I recorded them explaining the intricate details of garden design. The interview was conducted in Mandarin so once it is translated I will know more. The garden is looking fantastic now with the water in and the waterfall working. When the plants are added early in the New Year it will really be something else.

Cheers
Mark