Thursday, July 20, 2006

The seed is sown


The heat is on, ideas are flowing thick and fast and just two weeks into our course in documentary filmmaking one can smell the anxiety in the Zoology Department as twelve minds turn their attention to crafting a story of their choice. Over the next few weeks I will add some of my musings to this blog in the hope that I can solicit some constructive feedback on the idea that I settle on for my story. At the moment I am torn between a project focusing on a topical isssue such as the us vs them debate that rages in New Zealand at the moment between the Environmentalists and sectors of the Agricultural community; or a character driven story focusing on the efforts to preserve the Otago Skink, an endangered Lizard that exists in pockets around Central Otago and the Maniototo. We have the opportunity to research our best ideas over the next couple of weeks and them pitch them to our collegues in the hope that we will settle of working partners for the filmmaking process. In the meantime I will be out an about the streets of Dunedin with a camera and tripod refining my skills and entertaining the curious onlookers. Also, this weekend I will be filming at the music festival being held at Bath Street in Dunedin on Saturday to celebrate the first birthday of dunedinmusic.com.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Mark! Nice one bro. I'm excited to think of following your journey over the next year (and yes, I'm still jealous). Keep it up... Tony

Mark Orton said...

Thanks Tony, I'm sure you will add suggestions and advice along the way. Cheers.

Anonymous said...

Hi Mark,
Looking forward to following the progress you make. Just do it man, you have all our support all the way.
Kathryn