Friday, September 21, 2007

Skeptics Conference Christchurch

Along with the various other shameless acts of self-promotion, I have agreed to be one of the guest speakers at this weekends national Skeptics conference. I mean, how many opportunities like that present themselves in a lifetime?



It actually promises to be a very interesting event with speakers tackling everything from magic to shonky health practices. I'm preparing myself for an onslaught of questions that will test my knowledge of all things to do with a Mystery Cat in Canterbury. However, after the better part of 12 months digesting everything I could find on the phenomenom, I'm sure I can talk for 30 minutes on the subject (and hopefully sell some DVDs and t-shirts). Interestingly enough, the poster promoting the event has borrowed a little from our film theme.

Once again the cat has been resurrected in the media with Investigate magazine running another artcile on cat sightings in New Zealand and a piece written by myself about the film making process and some of the aspects that we uncovered. Check it out.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Mark

I'm sorry I missed the Conference. How were the skeptical zealots? Did they decide on a plausible size for the 'over-grown moggy'?

You must not have received my e.mail request. Please can you send the DVD to:

Francis Han
27 Lyndhurst Crescent
Christchurch 7.

If the offer is still available for two t-shirts, please can you and Pip sign one of them (with black marker on the yellow cat).

In Ashburton, your friend who made the Paua video also offered to include one for me. I would be glad to receive that as I attended the Ashburton Screening late and caught sight of only the Prints of Darkness film --which, BTW, I never did commend on. I think it's a very clever name!

Also, your friend who made the Paua movie was interested to find anybody who has a story to tell. He asked me to keep it in mind. I know someone who he might like to meet. Somebody involved in animal rescue work. If he's still involved with that project please could you pass on a contact for me to reach him by.

Also, I'm curious about the title of your blog. 'Fear and Loathing...', why did you call it that?

I look forward to receiving the items. Thank you.

-Francis.

Mark Orton said...

Hi Francis,

Whats your email address? You can email me at ojjj69@yahoo.com
I will send you some details regarding the Paua video etc.

Anonymous said...

Hello mark, It was a pleasant surprise to receive your parcel today.

Well done with your successful T-shirt sales at the Sceptics Conference, especially since it would indicate you made believers of many of them.

The big cat situation in Mid-Canterbury is certainly an indelible mystery.

Giganticism of domestic breeds would seem the most plausible explanation, yet eye witness accounts suggest something more exotic.

After seeing the video again, what I found most interesting, and seemingly uncharacteristic of an elusive cat, is how aloof it seemed to the presence of people on many sightings.

Not sure if this suggests the same cat or different creatures sighted.

In any case, it would indicate an intelligent animal; one that is willing to show itself, disinterested in people, should ever it decide they are not presenting a danger.