Sunday, October 08, 2006

Don't underestimate the importance of music


In this whole filmmaking process that I am engaged in at the moment, I am learning some really good lessons about how to write for images and importantly how to be tight when editing our own words. The ideas for my diploma film is being shaped at the moment and images are being sorted in my head as I settle upon story threads and get them to paper. However, in all the instruction we are getting and the corresponding exercises, we have yet to work on scoring music for documentary.
Personally, from some of my favourite documentaries (and features) I tend to remember the odd static image after the film has receded from my retina, but it is the soundtrack that I can often recall in more detail. I guess where I am going with this blog is that I am now starting to think about possible sounds that will work with the visual stimulus planned for out diploma film.
This week, I was given The Veils second album to review for the Otago Daily Times and it has the distinction of receiving the first 5 star rating that I have dished out. Quite simply, singer songwriter Finn Andrews is a major talent waiting to occupy the huge void left by Jeff Buckley. Sure that's a mighty big call, but the intoxicating concoction contained on Nux Vomica gave me so many film ideas that I'd love to get this guy to score a film. Perhaps, he could be the next Damon Gough. I have attached the glowing album review below.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi mark,

Got this album for my Birthday, fantastic sounds. I thought they got a lot of their influence from Nick Cave. The album could be a soundtrack for a Tarantino movie.

Best bit of NZ music I have heard in a long time.

Mark Orton said...

Hey Peter, wise decision giving this album for a birthday gift, no doubt you were impressed. Cheers Mark.