Sunday, October 15, 2006

We only have sixty years on this planet

Sixty Years-The Music Video

After a very successful screening of 12 music videos from the NHFC diploma students on Friday I have decided to see what the wider world thinks of this little ditty. Any comments, suggestions, likes, dislikes would be appreciated as I really want to learn what works and of course, what doesn't.

I had a great time making it and learnt a lot in the progress. The whole thing was put together in imovie which is pretty limited but still a pretty cool piece of software that is free for OSX users. If anything, I think the limitations of the editing process stopped me getting distracted from the flow that I was trying to create. I am learning the power of Final Cut at the moment and have instantly seen areas that my creative ideas could have been realised. However, it is really good discipline to put a lot of focus on getting images/sound right in the first place and not relying on fixing problems in post production.

This coming week will be quite interesting as Pip and myself will decide what film idea to run with. We have had no shortage of possible story threads thus far and have narrowed our pool down to three ideas. Watch this space. In the next few weeks I will also be departing for Ulva Island where I will be assisting a film-maker who is compiling a DVD of island bird life. I'm really looking forward to helping out and sapping any knowledge I can. Wildlife activity and animal behavior is totally foreign to me so this will be a good chance to get out of my comfort zone and have a go. Just one thing though, I'm a bit worried about coffee making facilities so I might just pack my mini grinder and a couple of kgs of good beans to keep me going, especially as we are supposed to be rising before daylight and filming birds waking up!

3 comments:

Kat Baulu said...

Your music video is a treat! I love the vision of staying with the low angle throughout, and I just LOVE the artistic attention on the instruments - the lighting is so evocative! super cool locations. Great choice of music, combined with imaginative, unusual imagery. A winnning combination. Those delectable legs make me green with envy too...

Anonymous said...

love it! the close-up angle emphasises the small things that make for a great night. i would have liked to move between bigger street scenes to the close-ups more often, and to get to the jamming session sooner. i guess the next image would be neurophin plus and a water bottle?

Mark Orton said...

Thanks for the feedback, glad to hear that you enjoyed it. Yes, I agree, some more close-ups and more of the band would have improved it.