Thursday, September 21, 2006

Emersons Triumph Again

Two weeks late I know, but the recent Brew NZ awards in Wellington confirmed what many in the South have known for quite sometime, that Emersons is a damn fine drop. All 12 Beers entered won awards and three beers were awarded the coveted status of 'Best in Class'. What a haul, major brewer Lion Nathan with its stable of four brands only won 14 trophies and the news was even worse for the other giant DB with just nine awards. Once again, taste came to the fore with two other boutique brewers (Limberg and Epic) also doing well. Thankfully, Emersons have very kindly put some of their festival beers on tap in a couple of Dunedin Bars. I am anxiously anticipating the fantastically named Pandora's Bock, the Anniversary IPA and brewer Shaun Ancell's tribute to his late father, the Ancellator.

Perhaps the genius of Richard Emerson is not only his super-sensory taste buds! It seems that Scottish scientists have put forward the notion in a recent study that geniuses are less likely to suffer from Hangovers! Or, could it be that people with higher IQs realise that its not always wise to binge drink? I know for a fact that one of my very intelligent colleagues (Sarah) does not suffer hangovers. However, that's probably due to the fact that she is teetotal, imagine that, an Irish girl who doesn't drink!

Post Script: I have just heard that the chairman on Young's Brewery in London. Mr John Young C.B.E has passed away aged 85. I have long had a soft spot in my soul for Youngs after discovering their product working in a West End Pub in the early 90s. The publican of the Ponterfract Castle was a real ale enthusiast and insisted that the staff drink Young's Special with him. I took a real liking to it, and progressed from there onto many of the other fine Young's products. Fortunately working in North West London for a couple of years I had to pass the great Young's establishment the Grand Junction Arms every day on my way to and from work. Situated on the Grand Union canal many summers were spent savoring the chocolate stout next in the beer garden next to the canal.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mark, thanks to you I am totally sold on Emerson's now. I'm usually just a social drinker. Well, what can I say: That was the past. The organic pilsner that you recommended to me a few weeks ago is so good that for the FIRST TIME IN MY LIFE I bought beer to drink with nobody there, just by myself. Right now I am sitting at my desk with a bottle, happily suckling away on this fantastic brew...by this you achieved something my boyfriend Dan didn't succeed in for more than four years, even though he tried hard and it was always a great grief of his that I'd only enjoy drinks when we went out, never at home!