Friday, September 22, 2006

Sixty Years-The Music Video

One of the assignments that seems to be creating quite a few column inches in my classmates blogs is the music video that we are all working on. When signing up for this course, I was really excited about the opportunity to be creative with a song of our choice. Given the thousands of songs that I could have deliberated over, I chose to keep things simple by focusing on one of my first musical loves, Rockabilly. The choice then was relatively straightforward as I selected Brian Setzer as my artist. A long time fan of The Stray Cats and Brian's various solo projects I tuned into his 2003 solo release Nitro Burnin' Funny Daddy.

The cover for Nitro Burnin Funny Daddy

The opening track Sixty Years is an absolute rock n roll tour de force. With an infectious drum beat and classic Setzer riffs, the song lent itself perfectly to the visuals that had been forming in my head. What's more, after studying the lyrical content I was able to refine my sequences accordingly. While, the song is liable to get you a speeding ticket and is incredibly upbeat, Setzer wrote it to say goodbye to his good friend the legendry Joe Strummer of The Clash who passed away in 2002.
Brian posing with one of his many Gretsches.

As Brian sings on the track: "Saint Peter didn't put you here/ For no reason at all/ So when it time to go/ Oh brother stand tall"

This is the most personal album I've ever done,Setzer has confessed. Lyrically, I go into areas I've never touched before,relationships, spirituality. I just wanted to let my whole life out, more than just the hot-rod rockabilly side."

For anyone not familiar with this genre of music and is curious to hear what the track sounds like click on the following link for Sixty Years. I'll post some visuals from the music video once I have it ready to go.

No comments: