Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Spam Film Ideas

While racking my brain recently for potential film ideas I stumbled upon an email that got me thinking. After years of receiving spam with offers of free laptops, cheap mortgages, a bigger penis and unexpected news of many relatives that I never new existed working in government departments in Nigeria, who had all recently perished in bizarre accidents, I received the following:

Dear Friend,
I am Captain Brian James of the US Marine Force on
Monitoring and Peace keeping mission in Baghdad-Iraq.
On the7thh day of July 2006, we were alerted on the
sudden presence of some Terrorists camping in a suburb
not too far from Karbala here in Iraq. After Immediate
intervention, we captured three (3) of the Terrorists,
twenty-six (26) were killed leaving seven (7) injured.

In the process of torture they confessed being
rebels for late Ayman al-Zawahiri and took us to a
cave in Karbala which served as their camp. Here we
recovered several guns, bombs and other Ammunitions
including some boxes among which two contains nuclear
weapons, one filled with hard drugs(cocaine) and the
other four to my amazement contain some US Dollars
amounting to $7.2M after I and two of my junior
intelligent officers counted them. I however
instructed them to keep this in high secrecy.

I am in keen need of a Reliable and Trustworthy
person like you who would receive, secure and protect
these boxes containing the US Dollars for me up on
till my assignment elapses in here in Iraq. I assure
and promise to give you 30% of this fund, however feel
free to negotiate what you wish to have as your
percentage in this business..

Please assure me of your keeping this topmost secret
to protect my job with the US Monitoring and
Peace-Keeping mission. Contact me through my personal
email capt_brianjames7@sify.com

Sincere regards,
Capt.Brian James.
Wow I thought, I'm in contact in Iraq with someone in the military. Not only does this email read like a John Woo script, but this guy has searched out little old me here in Dunedin as his confidant. Gee, my blog must be good! I wonder how much for the film rights?

Now, with my curiosity significantly raised, I'm afraid to say that I started to smell a rat. Hey, this guys email account is with some organisation called 'sify'. Could it be possible that this should read 'sifty'.
Good to see that our friends in the spamming world are getting inventive and generating some quite amusing creative writing.

1 comment:

Alastair Jamieson said...

Mark, Did you ever see Te Radar's doco
Timor ODDyssey? In it he manages to travel almost for free to East Timor to film a doco on what's going on there. Perhaps in the same spirit you could consider a voyage of discovery to find the real Capt.Brian James....